Monday, May 4, 2009

Story Numero Uno!

This isn't actually my first story, not by far. This isn't even the first story I've published on here. But I have nothing better to do or to say, so I'm putting this on here. No comments please :)

I sit and stare out into the torrents of rain dismally. Not five minutes ago there had been sunshine and I was thinking about taking a walk. But now, with all hopes of spending a little bit of my May afternoon dashed, I settle down to write my report.
It is about my recent journey all the way to Vermont to study a possible new dragonfly. Some old, lonely farmer who wanted his five minutes of fame. It had turned out to only be an Ebony Jewelwing, but it was still a good excuse to get out of Washington. The old man had been very friendly and I quite enjoyed his company. The only drawback to the trip was that now I have to write a report on every second I spent there.
I tap my fingers lightly on the keyboard and listen to the patter-patter of the rain on my window. I have a fairly nice office considering how new I am here.
There is a window that lets me see out into some nameless park where people go running by and buying ice-cream everyday. I sometimes go out and get some myself when the weather permits; which is very rare here. The room in which I work is very long and narrow, and it looks even smaller with my large oak desk hogging up most of the visual space. But other than that there are a few chairs on the opposite side, a small sofa, a table with a coffee pot, and a lamp. Not bad for a beginner.
I was appointed head of the Office for Insect Research and Development. That means that I get to know all the Level 5 clearance information on how the government is creating bugs to use instead of soldiers. Right now it’s a bunch of scientists with nothing better to do, but I see potential for the future. I also have to sign a lot of papers letting people go all over the world to look at bugs. Insects is a more appropriate use of language, but it’s all the same to me.
A lot of people hate me because I got this job over them. There are men who have been in this field for over fifty years and they got passed over. I had barely worked in the section for a year when the chose me. I have a couple of theories on that. First, no one wants to listen to a bunch of old guys telling them all about their life every time they come into their office (which I’m sure they would do as I have had personal experience in this particular subject), and the second is simply because of my degree. I have a major in Arthropods and a minor in microbiology. An odd mix, granted, but I manage. Fresh out of college, I know everything new there is to know about bugs, and still remember it all.
The only problem in my high position of power is that everything I do is severely scrutinized and I have to watch everything I do. One mistake and I am out of here. Plus there’s all that money tracking. But I knew that would come with the territory.
I spend a couple minutes writing, then stand up to stretch my legs. It’s roughly ten in the morning, so still early enough to have some coffee. I take the last cup and turn off the machine. I always take my coffee black, mostly because I am too lazy to sweeten it up every time, but also because it wakes me up and makes me feel more alert.
I go back to my desk and sit down, not wanting to do the inevitable job. The almost completely blank pages stares at me as if it’s daring me to put writing it off any longer. I am suppose to turn it in this afternoon to the Director, but that’s not likely to happen.
Director Catch has always been exceptionally nice to me, and every since my promotion (which I believe he had a hand in helping) has been cutting me a lot of slack. I don’t mind, but I know it’s not a good habit to be getting into.
I decide that I wont leave this room until the paper is over.
Just as I star getting into the swing of things and am actually making headway on the essay, I hear a light knocking on my door.
“Come in,” I say and the door swings open. I had it oiled not to long ago because the squeak was beginning to drive me mad.
“Mr. Brown is here to see you. He said it was urgent,” Lillian says. She is my newly appointed secretary. I don’t know how I survived without one for so long. She is my savoir. Without her everything I do would be a mess and I would never get anything done.
I stand and walk over to the door. Mr. Brown happens to be my fiancé. The door closes silently and we press our faces together smiling. David pulls something out from behind his back and I draw back.
“I thought these might brighten your day,” he says and hands me a bouquet of chrysanthemums.
“Aw, sweetheart, that is so nice,” I say and take the flowers from him, giving him a quick kiss on the way. I walk over to my table and slide a vase out from underneath. I always keep on there just in case for when a situation like this one arises.
I set the flowers neatly in the pot and sit on the sofa, motioning for David to join me. He does and soon we are nothing but a tangle of arms and legs intertwined and breathing as one.
I don’t know how long later my phone rings. I slowly ease out of his arms and pick up the black devil.
“Hello?” I ask.
“Is this Miss Samantha Crosswood?” asks a firm, male voice.
“Yes it is. How can I help you?” I continue.
“My name is Noah Roberts and I work for a sector of the government called Exploration of Islands and Their Inhabitants. You may not know that a branch of the government like this exists, but I am here to inform you otherwise. We recently made a discovery of… some magnitude and would like you to be a part of the research team. The details are top secret and if you wished to learn them you would have to sign a contract, but we would love to have on as part of our team.”
I sit for several seconds in stunned silence. I don’t know what to say. Exploration of Islands and Their Inhabitants? I’ve never heard of such a thing. I weigh the options in my head and respond:
“I would love to come and learn a little more about this… project… of yours. When can I come in?” I ask.
“How about 3:30 this afternoon?” he asks.
I look at my watch and say, “sounds wonderful. Where?”
“Seventh floor, room 2289. See you then,” and he hangs up before I can say anything else.
“What was that all about?” David asks me.
“I really don’t know. But I do know that at 3:30 I’m going up to the seventh floor.”
David’s eyes widen in surprise. The seventh floor holds all the most important people such as the heads of security and even the Director. I haven’t been up there save for a few times to go to meetings and meet with the Director personally. Having your own office upstairs means that you must be a pretty important person.
It’s around 10:45 now and I figure I had better get that paper done before I go out to lunch. David and I kiss goodbye and I sit down and let the gentle tapping of the rain on my window set my off on the rest of my trip.

No comments: